Re: [News] Nintendo's Wii Will Have Updatable Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Nintendo's Wii Will Have Updatable Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 03:05:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Tuesday 10 October 2006 22:56 \__

>> From the because-choice-is-beautiful dept.
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/wii-linux/
>> http://www.wii-linux.com/
>> http://wii.nintendo.com/iwata_asks_vol1_p3.html?
>>
>> GPL-licensed.
>
>     Where do you see this?
>
>     The first link is an empty source forge project. Someone could just as
> easily create "wii-Vista" project.

No, this has to go through careful moderation with a decent roposal and some
code. SourceForge projects cannot be created as easily as, let us say, a
hosted blog.

>     The second link is the official homepage of the source forge project.

Yes.

>     The third link is a lengthy interview. I didn't read through all of it
> (yet), but FireFox tells me "linu" does not ever appear on that page.

You must be looking at the index page. Also see the following:

Does the Wii run Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Blogger Kiyoshi Saruwatari claims that Nintendo's upcoming Wii console runs
| on the open source Linux operating system. According to Saruwatari, who
| claims to be a Nintendo insider, the company reduced development costs by
| leveraging open source software and incorporating a Linux kernel into the
| Wii software platform. A wide variety of additional features like web
| browsing, video playback, file management, and emulation all run on
| Nintendo's custom Linux operating system, which uses a proprietary
| interface.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
Tasks: 132 total,   2 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie