Re: How did Roy miss this bit of [News]?

  • Subject: Re: How did Roy miss this bit of [News]?
  • From: Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:10:55 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <eksvoyp8jpjd.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ubuntu Edgy Upgrades a Disaster for many
>
> "Take a look around the Ubuntu Forums lately and you¢ll see many
> installation and various related threads just cropping up with problems.
> Not just noob problems, but people that are pretty knowledgable about
> linux, about how to fix things when they break, and they¢re left clueless
> with Edgy. I am one of them. I¢ve been a long time Ubuntu fan, and to some
> regards I still am but I surely don¢t see them as Linux¢s saving grace any
> longer. I can¢t tell everyone¢s story, but I can tell my own. And i hope
> the devs at Ubuntu are listening."

This is why, before any major upgrade, I bring up the same OS in a
virtual machine under VMWare, and configure the major services I care
about to match my real configuration, and do a test run there first.

Well, that's what I do on Linux.  I'd do it on Windows, too, but the
license won't let me.  I'd have to buy a new license just to do this
test.  Oh, I suppose I could stop using my copy on the Windows box, and
use that license in the virtual machine, and then move it back to the
Windows box when I'm done...but then I'll run into major hassles with
activation and WGA.

--
--Tim Smith