Re: [News] Palm OS to Get Open Source Web Browser

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Another Palm OS browser coming soon
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ...Moreover, it is an open source project, which must mean one will be
> | able to use it absolutely free of charge. The browser is expected to
> | offer support for HTML/XHTML/WML, tabbed interface (up to three
> | tabs), integrated RSS reader, and more.
> `----
>
> http://www.pdalive.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12286
>
> Opera is probably among the best in this area, but it's proprietary.

Opera browser for PDAs is very good. The MS Windows browser for PDA has
alsorts of problems that make it very tricky to use for all except basic
browsing. It makes no attempt at all to render the page for the PDA screen.
Sites that require more than one window to work, such as a chat or
messaging site, don't tend to work on the MS win pda browser at all.

Wasn't the whole point of using html and pages being rendered at the client
end meant to be so that the client could control the output for the device
capabilities? Whether that is a printer or any size screen, it would be
possible to organise the parts of the page to best suit the display or
viewer.

Opera is very different. First it renders the page for the device and the
screen you have. So what ever page you go to it is much more comfortable to
read because there isn't all that nonsence of scrolling left and right up
and down to try to follow some text or menu. Then, you get Opera's tabbed
browsing, so flipping between multiple pages is very easy. Then because
pages will not secretly die in the background, as in the MS one, i.e. a log
in site that requires you to keep a window open to maintain the login, you
can log in and use most multi-page web sites. Only one java based site I
use often doesn't quite work in some areas, in all others functionally I
can do everything I can do on my desktop. Then add to the praise of Opera
because they have also kept some of the session capabilities of their
browser. I find that for the PDA I am even more likely to be on the same
few sites each time, so Opera opens them all up for me.

I love my PDA, I even take it to bed with me. Don't look at me like that, I
do take it to bed, as well as all the other things it does for me it is the
best alarm clock I ever had, (why 'phew'? what did you think I was going to
say?).

I set all four each with a different noise and change the noise often enough
that I don't get too used to it. Still can't get in the bathroom. but at
least I'm up early enough to take my place in the waiting room.