[News] South African Linux Competency Centre Opens Its Doors

Linux Competency Centre open for use

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea behind the LCC is to offer businesses who are
| considering switching to Linux an opportunity to test their
| systems without having to disrupt their own operations.
| Having partnered with Wits, the facility is also available
| for academic research. IBM has set up 20 such LCCs around thew
| orld, but it is only in South Africa that they offer the
| facility to non-corporates.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1234

More references:

Open for training

,----[ Qyuote ]
| At present there are courses on web design, Firefox, Thunderbird,
| Open Office, Ubuntu, Gnu Cash and Freemind, among others. Most are
| offered in English, but there are multilingual and Dutch courses.
|
| [...]
|
| "We think that the open source movement can be a sort of role model
| for sharing educational information. With Open of Course we hope to
| stimulate people to share information on the same principles that
| open source software is shared," she says.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1199

Company grows out of schools Linux project

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on the successes of the tuXlabs schools Linux project in South
| Africa, the team members have started a company to continue the work.
|
| [...]
|
| The tuXlabs programme, started by the Shuttleworth Foundation, has
| installed Linux-based computer laboratories in approximately 200
| schools across South Africa.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1123&src=digg

South Africa: Open Source 'Helps You And Helps SA'

,----[ Quote ]
| South African companies are being urged to adopt open source software so
| they can not only cut their running costs but also contribute to job
| creation and boost the national economy.
`----

                        http://allafrica.com/stories/200605180189.html

Africa: Africans Need to Develop Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200609130898.html