Re: [News] Ubuntu Edgy Eft Released Later Today

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Ubunt Edgy Eft out tomorrow- How to prepare for and
> execute your upgrade
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Ubuntu's Edgy Eft (6.10) is out tomorrow, provided no
>| last minute changes to the release schedule.
> `----
>
> http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=660
>
> This release will incorporate some revolutionary changes. In related
> news, Shuttleworth wished to beautify Ubuntu, so expect it to become a
> user-friendly, easy-to-use Debian with a lot of eye candy.
>

> #13: "Pretty" is a feature
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| If we want the world to embrace free software, we have to
>| make it beautiful. I'm not talking about inner beauty,
>| not elegance, not ideological purity... pure, unadulterated,
>| raw, visceral, lustful, shallow, skin deep beauty.
>|
>| We have to make it gorgeous. We have to make it easy on
>| the eye. We have to make it take your friend's breath away.
> `----
>
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/63

It'll be interesting to see if this will happen to good effect.  I recall
not so many years ago the wintrolls here (probably including Erik F,
although I'm not going to check) all claiming that free software was
all very well for the server and cli stuff, but no "real" programmers
were really interesting in the graphical stuff, so there'd never be a
GUI to compete with the Windows one.

Aside from the obvious and simple fact that the above is merely FUD, an
assertion with no basis in fact whatsoever, other than perhaps actively
trying to put people off making such developments, what's perhaps most
fascinating is that in less than 10 years later, not only is the
leading, best and fastest growing web browser a FLOSS application, but
also that both Gnome and KDE are amazingly effective on the traditional
desktop, and we have devices like the Nokia 770 and TomTom GO910 which
are entirely GUI driven, along with the Motorola A680 phone.

Probably the Nirvana Mr Shuttleworth is after is something similar, where
truly everything can be driven from the GUI (personally, I find the CLI
far more effective and less time consuming for many tasks, but at least
in Linux I have the option - even the Nokia 770 has an xterm package
someone has made for it).  And then, to make it so visually "stunning"
or "head-turning", that just like when a pretty young lady walks by,
all the guys, of any age, all look at her and want her.  Of course,
the older guys are jealous that she wants someone younger and vigorous,
the younger guys are jealous that she wants someone reliable and rich;
both should be happy that there are so few young, rich, guys!  But our
Ubuntu Mistress is not so demanding of us;  neither our age nor our net
worth is going to put her off - but can Mr Shuttleworth make her so
attractive that we all turn our heads and want her?

Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
		-- Eric Hoffer