Re: Date Set for OLPC (Linux Laptops) Production

  • Subject: Re: Date Set for OLPC (Linux Laptops) Production
  • From: "billwg" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 23 Oct 2006 18:32:53 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> $100 laptop coming next year
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The $100 laptop at the heart of the OLPC (One Laptop
> | Per Child) initiative aimed at school children in
> | developing countries will start rolling off
> | production lines in the second quarter of next year.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Although the final numbers will depend on how many
> | orders come in for the $100 laptops, Quanta expects
> | to produce 10 million of the devices in the first
> | year of production, a company representative said today.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7403
>
> The target is to produce 300-500 million of these within years.
> This would also lower the production costs.

AT $100 each, that's some $30B to $50B worth, royboy!   I don't think
that you rubes have that much coin!  LOL!!!  The article says that they
won't even get out bed until the orders get to 10 million units, which
is a $1B nut.  I think this is something that you shouldn't hold your
breath for.

I particularly liked:

"The only major component missing will be a big hard disk, according to
the group."  With a scanty half gig of storage, there won't be too many
of these aborigines holding onto all the tripe you post, royboy!
You're pushing about that much per day it seems!