Re: [News] Demonstration of Excellent Hardware Support in Linux

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:30:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> HP all-in-one device works great with Linux

Sure it does....

>From the hp-sendfax screen, enter the phone number, select a cover page,
and otherwise prepare to fax you document. Then, from within
OpenOffice.org, print the document to the fax printer queue, and you're
done. The Officejet 5610 takes over from there, dialing the assigned
number and putting your fax on the line.

All that just to send a fax?

What a nightmare.

Oh, BTW will it work with:

Gentoo?
PCLinuxOS?
Mepis?

....the other 398+ Linux distributions not listed below?

"The experimental installation instructions given on the HPLIP project
site are distribution-specific and are provided for Fedora, Red Hat, SUSE,
Debian, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Slackware, and FreeBSD. I failed to get HPLIP
1.6.9 properly installed on Debian Etch, but had no problems at all
installing it with the experimental installer on Ubuntu LTS."

Doesn't look like it.

Another example of why 400+ different Linux distributions make for a mess
for hardware suppliers.