Re: [News] Demonstration of Excellent Hardware Support in Linux

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:30:09 +0100

> HP all-in-one device works great with Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Once the ink cartridges have been installed and aligned --
> | the unit first prints an alignment page, then scans it to
> | check for needed adjustment -- Windows and Mac OS users are
> | told to load their respective CDs to install the drivers.
> | Linux users can scoff at the intellectual property
> | handcuffs imposed on their non-free brothers and sisters
> | and simply configure the unit from the friendly confines of their
> | distribution.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/03/203206
>

> A few days ago:
>
> The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Now, I'm confused. I installed Ubuntu on a spare machine
> | because my printer started printing all wrong. I just
> | completed sharing it with CUPS and Samba and what happens?
> | It still prints all wrong from Windows!
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Just so you know, I did go back and install the drivers that
> | came on the CD-ROM, same problem. I then downloaded the most
> | recent drivers from Epson, same problem.
> `----
>
> http://hmtk.com/blog/index.php?/archives/82-The-Epson-Stylus-C88-Printer,-works-in-Linux-but-not-in-Windows.html

we know linux has excellent hardware support due to the design of the
kernel.

its ported to just about anything thats capable of 386-like.

hardware peripherals do tend to be obscure though.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/qf
proud unix person