Re: PS3 and Linux

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 22 October 2006 22:10 \__

> - or perhaps that should be "Linux and PS3"?

It's like a Linux box with some game console /around/ it. It's a nice
wrapper. You only need to pay for the hardware.

Free Linux on PS3 this year

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68795

> "A simple installer enables absolutely anyone to install without
> instruction. Post-install, the default suite of applications presents an
> intuitive, self-guided means of exploring Linux without the confusion of
> multiple applications in the same family. An Advanced installer mode
> enables selection from greater than fifteen hundred packages, as is
> expected from a complete Linux distribution"
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml

And get this...

(From the same article)

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as a single-click install mode for Linux newbies,
| Terra Soft will include an advanced installer. The operating
| system itself is based on the Fedora Core 5, with an integrated
| E17 desktop, and bundled FireFox 1.5.0, Thunderbird 1.5.0,
| OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 and other applications.
`----

Not many people will wish to install additional packages. Maybe I should get
a PS3 myself... I have this large TV set that I never used. Still, can't
beat a brand-new Linux box for under 150 quid (SUSE included). It makes
everything including the Wii seem pricey.