Re: [News] Desktop Environments War Similar to O/S Rivalry

  • Subject: Re: [News] Desktop Environments War Similar to O/S Rivalry
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:54:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:31:45 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:

> begin  risky.vbs
> 	<1161462296.851932.158950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> 	"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Editor's Note: The Four L's
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I have come to learn to expect such behavior, even though
>>| I may not understand it. Such are my feelings regarding
>>| the current rash of KDE/GNOME bashing going on in various
>>| blogs and forums. It seems that you can't post an article
>>| about either desktop, however benign, without some yokel
>>| using the opportunity to flame the other environment.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| I am beginning to believe the real reason is fear.
>>|
>>| Fear of commitment on the part of the applications
>>| developers: If I code my app for GNOME, will all of
>>| those KDE user not use my application?
>>|
>>| Fear of obscurity on the part of the environment
>>| developers: If KDE "wins" the desktop wars, what
>>| happens to all of my work as a GNOME developer?
>> `----
>
> I believe both KDE and Gnome have improved vastly because of the
> competition between them. I used to use Gnome until KDE3 came along.
> I still switch to Gnome on occasion but my personal preference these
> days is KDE.

I'm exactly the opposite. My preference is for Gnome, but right now I've
switched to KDE for a while, just for variety. Ocaasionally I'll use
Fluxbox, or xfce, too

> I've played with most window managers / desktop environments over the
> years. It is fun and I will continue to do so. The one that suits me
> best is the one I'll use on a daily basis.
>
> At this time it is KDE.  Tomorrow? Who knows. All I do know is that
> whatever it is will be better than what I'm using today. That's what
> OSS is all about. Giving me the choice of what I think is best for me
> and not someone else dictating what I must use.

I agree absolutely.

I really can't understand this apparent hatred of choice that some people
show in this newsgroup. Life is one long series of choices. If someone
can't cope with choosing between KDE and Gnome, I have to wionder how they
can manage to do anything.

--
Kier