[News] Open Source Beats Proprietary Hands Down!

(yet another review of Web browsers)

I contend that this debate is highly relevant to Linux. It
demonstartes the fact that proprietary software, Opera included,
is simply unable to catch up with Open Source software where an
army of volunteers strap plugins onto hooks and patch bugs (as
opposed to report some obscure behaviour). It begins with Apache
and Firefox and will expand to the Desktop O/S territories. If
you do it at the micro level, you can do it at the macro level.

The Bumpy Road to Internet Explorer 7.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion: A strange journey to installing Microsoft's Internet
| Explorer 7.0 led me to a frozen land.

Yesterday:

IE7: Twice as performant as IE6, but half as slow as FF 1.5

,----[ Quote ]
| As is well documented, IE 6 is notoriously bad at leaking
| memory, particularly due to circular references that include
| COM objects. The good news is that our tests indicate that
| this problem has been solved in IE 7. While in our test
| profile, it appears to consume more memory than Firefox,
| IE 7 seems to have solved the horrendous memory leaks
| exhibited in IE 6.
`----

http://ajaxian.com/archives/ie7-twice-as-performant-as-ie6-but-half-as-slow-as-ff-15
http://tinyurl.com/y9han4

Internet Explorer 7 is better than IE 6, but doesn't beat Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time in five years, Microsoft has
| released a new version of the Web browser. CNET
| News.com's Joris Evers and CNET.com's Robert Vamosi
| discuss IE 7's heavily promoted security features in
| this week's Security Bites.
`----

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6128041.html?part=rss&tag=6128041&subj=news

Last week:

Thank you IE7 for messing up my computer

,----[ Quote ]
| No worries. We figured, Microsoft is offering free phone
| support for IE7 problems. We had a problem getting rid of
| IE7, so surely we would be entitled to free support...?
|
| "Wrong," said the help desk operator with an obvious Indian
| accent who identified himself as Ron. We would have to pay
| somewhere around $35 if we wanted to ask Microsoft a question.
|
| A request to speak with a supervisor however made Ron change
| his mind and the loyal gate keeper allowed us to advance to
| the second level of Microsoft's helpdesk nirvana.
|
| There we were greeted by Prim who guided us to the internet
| setting. It turned out that IE7 had completely messed up
| Windows XP's internet settings. The internet security
| settings are supposed to offer a vertical bar that
| allows users to change the setting from low to high.
| But this bar was suspiciously missing.
`----

http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2006/10/thank_you_ie7_f.html

Microsoft upgrades Internet Explorer, but not much is new

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArchive/oct2006/ie7reviewwsj.php

http://ajaxian.com/archives/ie7-twice-as-performant-as-ie6-but-half-as-slow-as-ff-15
http://tinyurl.com/y9han4

Internet Explorer 7 is better than IE 6, but doesn't beat Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time in five years, Microsoft has
| released a new version of the Web browser. CNET
| News.com's Joris Evers and CNET.com's Robert Vamosi
| discuss IE 7's heavily promoted security features in
| this week's Security Bites.
`----

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6128041.html?part=rss&tag=6128041&subj=news

CLARION CALL: IE 7 Not Ready For Prime Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Either leave your dog at home, or make sure it's trained better
| before inviting it into my house to make a mess on my carpet.
`----

http://saunderslog.com/2006/10/18/clarion-call-ie-7-not-ready-for-prime-time/

Information disclosure bug blights IE7 release

,----[ Quote ]
| The flaw stems from error in the handling of redirections
| for URLs with the "mhtml:" URI handler. Security
| notification firm Secunia reports that the same bug
| was discovered six months ago in IE6 but remains unresolved.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/

Businesses Embracing Firefox As The Other Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| JupiterResearch has recorded a large jump in the number of
| businesses allowing Firefox and is predicting that the
| latest IE7 release might drive even more acceptance.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193401122

IE 7 vs. Firefox 2.0: Why This Browser Battle
Matters To Businesses

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=193302940