Re: [News] GNUgle Profit Up 92%, Microsoft Flat

  • Subject: Re: [News] GNUgle Profit Up 92%, Microsoft Flat
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:00:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> Street gushes for Google
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The company reported net income of $733 million, or $2.36 a
>| share, up 92 percent from the same period last year.
> `----

Fantastic revenue numbers - anyone know what their margin is?

> http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/19/technology/google_earnings/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote
> http://tinyurl.com/yxuxwy
>
> Google uses Linux and Open Source technology, of course. m

I think 600,000 nodes in something like 300 data centres?  Can anyone
confirm?

> Meanwhile:
>
> Microsoft set for flat profit, 10% revenue increase
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft will have earned 31 cents a share for its fiscal
>| first quarter, unchanged from the same period a year earlier,
>| according the average estimate of analysts polled by
>| Thomson First Call.
> `----
>
> http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B52DEE54C%2D4EE1%2D4BDA%2DACBA%2DB2F8E93153D1%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo
> http://tinyurl.com/y4yw7j
>
> Microsoft profits rose for many consecutive years. They
> could soon begin to decline, having just flattened.

MS were running about 44% margin, last time I checked.  Obviously, that
wouldn't be able to rise forever, but as you say, I cannot see this
trend continuing as long as they try to maintain a huge, disorganised,
code-base and compete with the rest of the world, jointly maintaining a
much smaller, well-organised, code-base.

I presume it won't be long before major shareholders start to question
the sanity of that approach.

I'll show you MY telex number if you show me YOURS ...