Re: [News] Samba to be DDOS'ed by Vista?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Samba to be DDOS'ed by Vista?
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:48:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The Microsoft Zombie Army will force Samba out of the Enterprise
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Vista is to ship with a new version of SMB, called SMB2. At
>> | minute 40 in this FLOSS Weekly podcast, Jeremy Allison of
>> | Samba talks of behavior that will flood the network with
>> | 1500 packets just to do a network file delete. This will
>> | turn Vista computers into a DOS (Denial of Service) attack
>> | upon Samba based computers on the network.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.twit.tv/floww14
>
> You know... this really doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I've always
> been surprise that samba works as well as it does, despite microsoft poor
> attempts at torpedoing the project.
>
> All one can hope is, that the eu eventually forces microsoft to play fairly
> with it's API's...

Some of the rumours which have done the rounds include fairly compelling
stories regarding a complete lack of documentation /within MS/ for their
SMB networking, including the basic code, and the APIs.  It's even been
said that they use Samba as their documentation!

If Vista launches and corporates find that it's not compatible with Unix
file servers running Samba, they'll just not roll it out, I'm sure.
Microsoft are well past the point where they could get away with this
kind of customer abuse.

I'll show you MY telex number if you show me YOURS ...