Re: [News] Samba to be DDOS'ed by Vista?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Samba to be DDOS'ed by Vista?
  • From: yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 07:25:35 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> The Microsoft Zombie Army will force Samba out of the Enterprise
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Vista is to ship with a new version of SMB, called SMB2. At
> | minute 40 in this FLOSS Weekly podcast, Jeremy Allison of
> | Samba talks of behavior that will flood the network with
> | 1500 packets just to do a network file delete. This will
> | turn Vista computers into a DOS (Denial of Service) attack
> | upon Samba based computers on the network.
> `----
>
> http://www.twit.tv/floww14

Honestly, I have no doubt that the 4.* tree of samba will be
able to deal with this with little problem.

1. 1500 packets is not the big deal it was 10 years ago
2. samba already deals with idiotically chatty windows
   SMB systems quite well; being sprayed with a few thousand
   packets per second is not uncommon in the SMB world
   under some circumstances.  Unix and Unix-like TCP stacks
   don't care about that kind of traffic, and samba running
   under them has no problem pulling out exactly what it
   needs (kerberos/ldap, file data, whatever).
3. samba handles SMB load better than windows does, and that
   includes XP, server 2003, and Vista RC2--particularly
   when the load is that of an enormous amount of SMB
   clients all wanting to do complicated shit at the same
   time on a single SMB server.

So, whatever.  TWIT is generally quite horribly uninformed,
and they tend to lock on to ridiculously pessimistic aspects
of news items and then actively seek experienced individuals
that agree with their gloomy predictions.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net