Re: [News] SPAM Epidemic - Scary News for Linux Mail Servers

  • Subject: Re: [News] SPAM Epidemic - Scary News for Linux Mail Servers
  • From: alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 07:31:06 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:36:16 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2006 07:03:22 -0700, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Email servers will choke, says Spamhaus
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Spamhaus has a user base of around 650 million, and its lists block
>>| some fifty billion spams per day, according to the project's chief
>>| executive, Steve Linford.
>> `----
>>
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0D57068854E92584CC2572060013C0EF
>>
>> It's important to remember where it all comes from.
>>
>> Zombie PCs menace mankind
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/07/symantec_net_threat_report_2h2005/
>>
>> Zombie PCs spew out 80% of spam
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Trojans and worms with backdoor components such as Migmaf and SoBig
>>| have turned infected Windows PCs into drones in vast networks of
>>| compromised zombie PCs.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/trojan_spam_study/
>
> Yes, it's important to blame Windows for spam, since Spam never existed
> before Windows, and will never exist after Windows is gone.
>
> Right.

Erik, do you run a mail server? Do you understand that the majority of
spam comes from COMPROMISED Windows Machines? Any I don't mean just 51%...
Some estimates place it at 80%.

In 2004, William Gates III stated that the spam problem will be solved in
2 years. Well, we're still waiting for him to fix his broken and insecure
Operating System. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Yes, I blame WINDOWS for the spam problem because its security holes have
allowed this blight.