Re: Linux / Hard Drive Question

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 20:32 \__

> On 2006-09-10, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> __/ [ Meat Plow ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:09 \__
>>
>>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:03:11 -0700, ?CoffeehouseSchmuck? Has Frothed:

>>> Won't hurt it a bit.
>>
>> Your hard-drive knows nothing about operating systems. It has interfaces
>> for read and write operations, as well as additional functions for, e.g.
>> rotation speed. As your hard-drive is working much of the time anyway, it
>> will not be aware, at least at a physical level, of what gets installed.
>> Integrity of the actual data (e.g. MBR) is another matter altogether and
>> it depends on the quality of your software (e.g. Windows Vista eliminates
>> MBR's and rewrites them). Just make sure you stick to good brands such as
>> Seagate if you want to prevent wear (bad sectors).
>
> Trivial, really, but sort of interesting IMO:
>
> IIRC, Tivo runs via embedded Linux.

TiVo, MythTV, Playstation, Nintendo... home entertainment is guided by Linux.
How about these?

SageTV shows love for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately, one of the big names in DVR software, SageTV, has
| been supporting Linux for some time now (there are also other
| Linux-friendly DVR apps, such as MythTV). Sage is now offering a Linux
| edition of SageTV 5, including the add-on Placeshifter app, which we
| looked at when it was released for PCs back in April.
`----

                http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6625067.html

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.
`----

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html

Microsoft has Media Center, which crashes even in 'prime time'.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j7EEbokKLHI

         Windows Media center crashining at CES 2005

Apart from Media Center, I can't think of any other 'competitors'. There are
various other MythTV clones that I have seen and all are based on GNU/Linux.
Apple hasn't made a move into this market, yet. There's too high a barrier
and strong competition from a vendor that offers everything *gasp* for free.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
roy      pts/8                         Sun Sep 10 09:49   still logged in