Re: Harvard Business School researchers say linux will never beat MS!!!

__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:35 \__

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
>
>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>
>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
>> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
>> studied economics in Barcelona.
>
> Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>
> Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"

I wasn't referring to Barcelona as means of discreding the place, but merely
echoing what stood out at the top of page 1. That aside, just reading the
first few paragraphs I found (paragraph 2):

"However, OSS has disadvantages too. Most importantly, it comes from behind
in terms of market share (installed base)."

***Buzzz***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installed_base

,----[ Full quote ]
| "Installed base is a measure of the number of units of a
| particular type of system (usually a computing platform)
| actually in use, as opposed to market share, which only reflects
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| sales over a particular period. Because installed base includes
| machines that may have been in use for many years, it is usually a
| higher figure than market share. Many people see it as a more
| reliable indicator of a platform's popularity."
`----

That's when I stopped reading. And so should the reviewer. When people get
technical terminology wrong and fall victim to misconception, peer review
should have the paper rejected. The guys may have studied malarkey like
Taylorism and can work out strategies, but their technical merits and
understanding of groupthink is lacking due to the scope of their research.
When a person from the field of economics approaches a discussion about
computing, then you know you should take a step back. Ask yttrx.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
roy      pts/8                         Sun Sep 10 09:49   still logged in