[News] Laptops - Designed for GNU/Linux

Linux on laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Although most modern laptops nowadays tend to scare people off with an
| ugly "Designed for Windows XP" mark, it does not mean that alternative
| operating systems, like GNU/Linux cannot be installed and function
| equally well. In this article I would like to describe a few common
| issues with Linux on laptops and maybe bust a few myths about using
| GNU/Linux on mobile computers.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/choose/laptop/#

Just seen a funny comment:

"I placed my "Designed for Windows XP" on my trash can... It fits perfect :)"

I hope you realise that promotional stuff as such is forced by Microsoft,
through the contracts with the OEM. Take, for example, "[VENDOR] recommends
Windows XP". The vendor must put this up. It's anti-competitive, of course.

By coincidence, earlier today I also commented similarly on a quote that
Richard Rasker brought to the group's attention:

    'Gates: "No, the best way to prepare is to write programs, and to study
great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the
garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of
their operating system."

Not only does this confession put Gates in a position of hypricy, but this
also explains Windows' origins -- the garbage cans.'

http://tinyurl.com/gkyxm

So Bill Gates believes in Open Source after all.