Re: Ponders concerning rel="nofollow"

  • Subject: Re: Ponders concerning rel="nofollow"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:23:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ tonnie ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 20:32 \__

> Big Bill schreef:
>> On 9 Sep 2006 11:55:50 -0700, "KimmoA" <kimmoa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> What search engines, other than Google, support it?

Google has become a search engines monolith and monopolist, which extends
towards a becoming part of the American (and global) oligopoly. Just like
XML sitemaps, this was 'invented' by Google (unilaterally) and supported by
Google. I think the W3 consortium should have gotten involved.

>>> Also, will implementing it on my own sites benefit me in any way? I
>>> find it to be evil, but if it gives more weight to the non-crippled
>>> URLs, I guess it's good.

It introduces links hierarchy and classes, which is unwanted complexity, IMH.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/05/01/google-rel-nofollow/

Also of relevance:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/21/comment-spam/

>> Why would you want to be linking to sites if you don't want the
>> engines or people to follow them? You can gain authority by linking to
>> quality sites in your genre.

Valid point.

> The only propper way to use it is when the website linking to is merely
> used as an example but not trusted enough or a plain spammer.

Aye. But I think that more CMS's should have an expiration rule that strips
off the rel"nofollow" after some predefined period of time. Still,
rel="nofollow" is no answer to curious human surfers. That's where
additional issues lie and it is also the reason why comment spam is on the
rise, despite the emergence of sophisticated anti-spam mechanism -- those
that make commenting and reviewing an utterly miserable and repellent
experience.

I can recall the day when rel="nofollow" was introduced. Some overly
optimistic developers thought it was the death knell to SPAM while I took a
stance.

http://schestowitz.com/IMG/no-nofollow-button.png

rel="nofollow" never offered a solution. It was a bad idea from the get-go.
It killed participation in Web sites (no link, no incentive), made
everything more complex, and urges spammers to use greater brute force.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/04/23/blogs-recession/

In a sense, Google killed participation in blogs (not deliberately). I
predicted this in the item above (when rel="nofollow" was a new feature) and
even Om Malik linked to that item to express consent.

http://gigaom.com/2005/04/25/business-week-blogs-and-business/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
Swap:  1036184k total,   336944k used,   699240k free,    78136k cached