Re: [News] Microsoft's ASP is Dying

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 07:26:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> An End to ASP
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Classic ASP is in steady decline. I can't think of any major sites that
>| have been launched with it recently; debugging classic ASP is right up
>| there on my favourite things to do with dentistry and paying taxes. Worse,
>| classic ASP is the home of VBScript; every respectable programmer I know
>| spits on Visual Basic.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=105

God, this guy continually proves his ignorance.  It's true that classic ASP
is all but dead.  It has been for years.  But come on.

I love this:

"To me, it’s always been diabolical; to do something as simple as say,
turning a bit of text from lower case to upper case, which only requires
one command in PHP, requires writing a function in ASP. "

Wrong.  Standard VBScript funciton, UCase.

http://ns7.webmasters.com/caspdoc/html/vbscript_ucase_function.htm

Also:

"For example, they pulled the plug on Visual Foxpro; considering it’s a 32
bit, single threading application, that may not have been a bad idea.
Still, it is dislocating; but so long as “progress” is achived in
Microsoft’s eyes, they don’t seem to care."

Foxpro isn't dead, in fact they just released a new community technology
preview of the latest beta in June.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3A010370-4FC0-46F2-B495-C7C2F16930B1&displaylang=en

AND they released a roadmap for where Foxpro is going.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/roadmap/

This guy really doesn't know crap about what he talks about.