Re: GAIM

  • Subject: Re: GAIM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:31:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 09:00 \__

> On 10 Sep 2006 00:12:42 -0700
> "Stacy" <thugmaster609@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any problems installing anything on Xandros? I just
>> cant seem to get GAIM to work. Kopete Messenger is killing me, its
>> bluntly aweful.
>
> Use the source luke

Or settle for AOL's 'wonderful' homebred application:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=0

To be less sarcastic, I see nothing wrong with Kopete, but then again I don't
know your needs. Do you want to connect to various networks simultaneously?
Is the AIM network truly a necessity? Beyond this, it's worth asking
Xandros. It is, after all, a commercial company. Failing all of that, just
simply compile GAIM from source. Detailed instructions are on the Web site.
I suepct that Google is porting its chat application, which is compatible
with most large IM networks, to Linux. Just be patient and deal with what
you have. You could also run Windows AIM under WinE, but I don't know if
Xandros comes with WinE. Either way, don't whinE.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
Mem:    514480k total,   479056k used,    35424k free,    26724k buffers