Re: PING: Big Bill

> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 19:19 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> If subject line contains PING and subject line not contains ROY then
>>> bin. *smile*
>>
>> Aaawwww... then you bin my pings too :-(
>
> That was hypothetical. *smile*
>
>> I guess the whole Ping thing happens because one can't rely on email
>> anymore those days, and older: one can't rely on email addresses on
>> Usenet to be working ones.
>
> Because of SPAM. And the vast majority of SPAM is sent from hijacked
> Windows PC's, whose number rose considerably since that latest severe
> worm. But let's not start and argument over this. *wink*

You mean the Internet Worm that affected a lot of *nix boxes? :-)

Ok, I'll skip the argument, and even skip that SPAM is meat in cans, you
mean spam ;-)

The thing is (IMO):

 - is there a way to stop people from installing software that has as
   a side effect spamming? No
 - is there a way to educate those people? Doubtfull
 - is spam going away? No
 - is spam getting more serious? Yes
 - can the growth of spam delayed? Yes
 - is filtering a solution? No
 - is reporting a solution? No, but see [1]

The thing most people don't get is that spammers *do* make money, and
spammers do work with or are criminals.

Like I recently posted: captcha's are solved at peanut payments a week.
How many people wouldn't have a problem at all with installing software
that makes them 100 USD a year?

Spam gets more and more distributed, and the players are getting bigger
and more serious. There is no way to take away their business from them
IMO.

Thinking that Linux is going to solve that isn't naive, it's clueless for
two reasons: Linux isn't going to take over the desktop. I've heard that
for 10 years now. And I doubt it's going to happen tomorrow, or next year,
or the next 5 years. Second, most important point: users will install
software, and users will install software that doesn't do what is claimed
it should do. Others don't care, or are paid to run malware, or install
it.

> One thing I proposed over a year ago is correspondence through RSS
> feeds. It's SPAM-free. I have communicated with family and friends
> using a Wiki since March last year. SPAM-free. But these methods are
> not open to communication with a previously unknown (untrusted)
> person. Yet, they mean that E-mail becomes secondary and can be
> neglected, to an extent.

Yes, blacklist the whole world except your friends works for friends, but
doesn't work for other parties that want to reach you. I am probably going
to drop public email next year. People can either use the fill in form, or
find another way. I keep my friends in an IM program. No idea if it's
going to work, but I am giving it more thought.

[1] Reporting is not a solution but it does *delay* the growth of spam.
    The comment spam I get is getting less and less. Either it's silence
    before the big storm, or I have made my message clear: spam me, and
    I break down your network. A recent comment spam attempt had the
    following line: "If you dont want to see us anymore send your domain
    list at xxxxx@xxxxxxx"... [2]

[2] http://www.google.com/search?q=%22If%20you%20dont%20want%20to%20see%
20us%20anymore%20send%20your%20domain%20list%20at%20%22

--
John    Need help with SEO? Get started with a SEO report of your site:

    --> http://johnbokma.com/websitedesign/seo-expert-help.html