Re: Why Vista will mean the end of the Microsoft monolith

  • Subject: Re: Why Vista will mean the end of the Microsoft monolith
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:31:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ fakir005 ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 19:50 \__

> What is the meaning of MONOLITH?  IS MICROSOFT MONOLITH ANY DIFFERENT
> FROM GOOGLE MONOLITH. Does Google have a monolith and Would Microsoft
> Vista mean the end of Google Monolith.
>
> Here is what I think Microsoft is envious of Google monolith like the
> quadrupling of the shares of Google Common Stock from under $100 to
> over $400 and have made multi illionnaires of Google founders.
>
> The article linked in the article qoted in the message I'm replying to
> shows that Microsoft will chareg
>
> $199 for the Vista Home version  to $399 for Vista Ultimate version
> with prices as high 299 for other Vista versions.   I don't see the end
> of Microsoft Monolith. But the creation of a new unneeded Monolith. For
> one thing there can never be a new level of security whether you use
> vista or windows. The lack of security has nothing to do with the
> vulnerabilities of Windows or of the Browser. It has to do with the web
> infrastructure consisting of the roles assigned to the servers, clients
> and the unnecessary insertion CGI between the two.
>
> Is Microsoft going to develop a new Operating System every two years.
> First there was an operating system that was replaced by several
> versions of windows the last of which was XP version and now there is
> the first version of vista  for which people have to fork over $399.
>
> That is Highway Robbery.
>
> I wish people would continue using Windows or dump microsoft altogether
> and choose Linux and show Microsoft that they will not tolerate any
> Monolith be it Google Monolith or Nicrosoft Monolith
>
> REJECT  MICROSOFT VISTA
>
> Au79 wrote:
>> Hindu - Chennai,India
>>
>> ... Microsoft also released details of US pricing for the new operating
>> system. ... Security vulnerabilities come free with all versions.
>>
>> <http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200609091840.htm>
>> --
>> http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html

"Virtualisation is the Next Big Thing in computing, and the lesson of Vista
is that Microsoft will have to embrace it to survive in the operating system
market. The trouble (for Microsoft) is that the leader in the technology is
Xensource, a spin-out from Cambridge University's Computer Laboratory. And
here's where the delicious ironies begin. For not only is the lab housed in
the William Gates Building (in recognition of a donation by the Microsoft
boss), but Xen's core technology is - wait for it! - open source, which in
Redmond is still viewed as the spawn of the communist devil."

Joining the enemy is not only a sign of weakness. It's awareness and
realisation of a death knell. Gates sidleles with the winning side. But
being Open Source, he deelevates his company and puts it in a head-to-head
battle with rivals whose cost is zilch.

Ballmer has a nice chair collection. Maybe they can make a profit selling
these on a backyard sale.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
Mem:    514480k total,   477372k used,    37108k free,    49416k buffers