Re: [News] Open Source and Baseless Luddite Accusations

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 10:10 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ludd vs. open source
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open source is being blamed for the decline of American programming.
>

> It seems to me the exact opposite is true.
> Close source programming is allowing all the big buck
> projects to lose features and sales by not keeping up with global
> developments and investments.
>
> I can put together an industrial strength free OS distro in days
> only to find that closed source is nowhere to be seen
> in terms of performance or features. So it would seem that
> closed source isn't productive any more and not investing
> enough in programming to keep themselves competitive or alive.

I agree. Programmers are often unable to find employment because a few
closed-source giants exclude and eliminate competition, using daat lockin,
lack of interoperability, and software patents. Just look at Oracle,
Microsoft, and SAP.

Open Source software is the means for breaking a state of oligopoly in
technology and return to programmers their much-deserved place in industry,
at the expense of multi-millionaires who hog and accumulate money through
exploitation.

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 129 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie