Re: [News] Wintel (sic) to Sack 10,000 Employees

  • Subject: Re: [News] Wintel (sic) to Sack 10,000 Employees
  • From: GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:52:49 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:

begin oe_protect.scr GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

billwg wrote:

"GreyCloud" <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:lv6dnRuGZuFdiGLZnZ2dnUVZ_qKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scott Nudds wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6111478.html

Ya, I guess Intel never should have donated that source code to the Linux project. See where it got them?

Linux = Shit Stick....

Hardly has anything to do with Linux. A lot of companies shed deadwood employees when times get on the lean side. Boeing is good for doing that trick.

--

Well, it is sort of suspicious, cloud. Intel was just flying along, not a care in the world, and then they went off on this linux-loving kick, and, the next thing you know, they are down in the mud with the rest of the linux crowd. You SAY that there is no connection, but I'm suspicious.

Linux adoption was to cut their TCO re. production systems. AMD is eating Intels lunch. Also they've blown a few $billion into a failure called the Itanium. One of these days they'll dump the Itanic.

What would likely save Intel's bacon would be a much more rapid adoption
of Linux in computing devices.  Linux is ready and here and now, however,
a large number of organisations (admittedly, it's increasingly just the
home user and large corps) are waiting for the next great thing from
Microsoft.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll be with us for a
long time, if at all in anything beyond another service pack for NT5.

If Intel could persuade some large corps to start buying linux machines,
they'd be hiring people not firing them.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/

 Running Linux* on an Intel® Graphics Platform
Linux* Guide

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/dc/hpc/227820.htm?page=2

The benefits of Linux.  Tho they still seem to be pushing Itaniums here.

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/dc/linux/optimization/52529.htm?page=2

Linux* on Intel
®
Architecture Improved Performance and TCO

And list just keeps going on... I just poke in Linux on Intels search box, and you get a very long list of goodies.

-- Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?