Re: [News] 64-Bit Windows Vista - Not What Microsoft Had Promised

__/ [ alt ] on Thursday 07 September 2006 04:19 \__

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:45:47 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, with Microsoft's chokehold on the consumer hardware
>> vendors, the only way Vista will fail is if it causes 50% of the machines,
>> on which it is installed, to catch fire.
>
> I'm sure Dell could help with that.

Some Xbox 360's caught fire as well, I suspect. I heard stories.

Microsoft should have never begun manufacturing (through partners) any
hardware. The company is not called Microhard. From mice and keyboards this
expanded to an attempt to squash, in the long run, the OEM's, just because
software will not pay off (its production and distribution costs make Free
software equally good, if not better) and the independent OEM's can cease to
stock the bug-ridden Windows.

Still, the XBox 360 is said to have 30-50% failure rate, _at hardware level_.
It's pathetic and if it weren't for Microsoft's deep pocket, the company
would have declared bankruptcy earlier this year. Instead, it was merged
(for finance purposes) with another division, which helps hide the scale of
the loss. As a general remark, Microsoft is good at saving face. It's
playing the same game in the "market share" spin. And it was recently said
to have intimidated Lenovo, which wanted to preinstall Novell Linux.

MS is having a midlife crisis. And it's cranky.

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo