Re: [News] Ubuntu+Enlightenment (Ebuntu) Project on Its Way

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron Quark
<qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:46:05 +0200
<87hczk7p8i.fsf@xxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [ yttrx ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 19:47 \__

>>> No matter what anyone says, enlightenment is a dead project.  Rasterman is
>>> long gone, and the dipshits involved in its "development" now have been
>>> "developing" DR17 for three years.
>>>
>>> Its a stupid idea for an ubuntu.
>>
>> But one can mix and match to get the best of several worlds, I
>> suspect.
>
> Mix and match what???? All the application SW is the fucking same.

That's the beauty of Microsoft Vista(tm).  It gives the user exactly
one method of doing the same thing as Linux, which gives half a dozen
ways of editing a file.  This is obviously very convenient for the
average user, who wouldn't have a clue what to do with Emacs since
Notepad is obviously so much better.

(Not.)

>> Aragorn once said that GNOME can Sawfish, Enlightenment, windowmaker, or
>> whatever else. I am not very familiar with these (I entered the Linux world
>> when GNOME and KDE ~2 existed), so it didn't make sense to me at the time.
>> Could a user, for example, give up kwin easily? Overall, as a visual
>> environment, I have always fancied Enlightenment the most. KDE is more
>> usable and effective though. It's a toolbox, not a DE. *smile*
>
> Does this make sense to anyone out there?

One has to make allowances for parsing.  Sawfish, Enlightenment, and
Windowmaker are names for somewhat popular window managers.  Properly
rewritten, one might see:

** Aragorn once said that the GNOME environment can support the window
** managers Sawfish, Enlightenment, windowmaker, and many others.
** I am not very familiar with these particular window managers
** (I entered the Linux world when Gnome and KDE about version 2
** existed) so the question of switching window managers didn't
** make sense to me at the time.  Could a user, for example, give
** up the kwin window manager easily?  Overall, as a visual
** environment, I have always liked Enlightenment the best.
** KDE is more usable and effective though; it's a toolbox,
** not a display environment.  *smile*

or some variant thereof.  (Bear in mind this is me, so
take my words as being a reinterpretation of the above
words with the usual grain of salt.  Go ahead and ask Roy
for an explanation if you need to. :-) )

> Is it any wonder projects are failing all the time with this type of
> advocacy and thought process?
>
> Dont you realise that this "mix and match" is what is screwing up Linux
> left, right & centre. get something done *right*.

Define "right".  A monolith isn't exactly the best method either.

> Get it done
> finalised. The days of getting a stiffy from being able to "poke" a
> memory address to get some "neat trick" are long gone.

And where precisely does Linux do this?

> If the linux code bases continue to branch at the rate they're doing so
> that some pimply programmer can reease his own WM or distro then theres
> no hope for any of us.

Exactly.  Just get Microsoft Windows Vista(tm).
It'll Fix Everything(tm).  (Including breakfast.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- and if you believe *that*...see below.
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.