Re: [News] Paul Thurrott on Windows Vista RC1: "Welcome to the Dark Side"

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 09:09 \__

> The Dark Side of Windows Vista RC1
>
> ,----[ Headings only: ]
> | It's the UI, stupid. Actually, it's a stupid UI
> |
> | A few applications that need to be brought out back and shot
> `----
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rc1_worst.asp
>
> See the image on the right:
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/winvista_rc1_worst_promo.jpg

PJ adds:

"Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows has a long list of what he feels are
stupid decisions regarding the UI in Vista. For example, instead of Back and
Next buttons in wizards, in Vista he shows screenshots that show that the
Back button has become an icon up in the left-hand corner, and the Next
button is where it used to be, at the bottom right and is still text.
That'll take some getting used to.  Worse, the back icon doesn't have any
text on it, just an arrow pointing left, so you just have to know. Now,
think about the blind. I understand from reading this article that they are
going to need retraining just to function in Vista, as will we all. So I'd
suggest that if you are a governmental agency trying to decide between ODF
and MS XML, that you consider the cost, and if you're going to be upgrading
to Vista ever, forget about thinking that it won't involve retraining."

Best wishes,

Tux is sexy <
http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/08/paris_hilton_tux.jpg >
roy      pts/3        cg001a.halls.man Tue Sep  5 19:06   still logged in