Re: Paul Thurrott on Windows Vista RC1: "Welcome to the Dark Side"

__/ [ Gates wannabe/imposter ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:22 \__

>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rc1_worst.asp
>>

> The real gem of wisdom in the whole blog is:
>
> "You see, Windows Vista isn't perfect. It's not even close to perfect.
> It's better than Windows XP is, of course, but it damn well should be:
> It benefits from five more years of experience and work. Being better
> is the minimum requirement."

Vista was built in 6 months. September 2005 to March 2006, to be precise.
Longhorn was binned as it was an unmanageable mess that led to Allchin's
decision to retire. Early today (or last night rather), the current manager
of the Vista project defected to Amazon. And Gates is set to retire early,
as well.

> And anyone buying a new computer will get Vista and like it better than
> XP and that is some 100 million or so people each and every year.
> Eventually the old machine gets retired and a new one purchased.  That
> is all that matters.

Not everyone can afford a new machine. Open up your eyes. Have you strolled
around your neighbourhood (or outside it) recently? People may be hooked on
Windows 'habits'. But a poor man's back (think camel) can be broken with
that single last straw. Vista is a last straw. The 200,000 Windows viruses
that plague Windows (XP include) are quite heavy straws, when considered
cohesively.

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:59 \__

> On 2006-09-06, billwg <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> And anyone buying a new computer will get Vista and like it better than
>> XP...
>
>  That's, um, not what he says:
>
>  "Whether Vista is enough of an improvement over XP to warrant your hard
> earned money is a subject I'm saving for my eventual review of the final
> shipping version of the product, but I'll give you a bit of preview now
> and say the answer may surprise you."
>
>  From that 'preview':
>
>  "And take User Account Control (UAC), please. No seriously, please take
> it. And kill it. And stomp on its dead body. And then hang it on a flag
> pole as a warning to others... UAC is the wrong solution for a very real
> problem. But the truth is, real power users are just going to turn it
> off anyway. All that work has been for nothing, sorry. It's just going
> to upset normal people. Every. Single. Day."

Excessive nuisance leads to carelessness and negligence. It's like the boy
who cried wolf. Security comes from below (kernel with proper multi-user
architecture), not from above (AV software, prompts, firewall, etc.).

>  "Windows Vista's antivirus and anti-spam features are particularly
> embarrassing because of Microsoft's stated focus on security in Windows
> Vista. Oh, and because there aren't any. To get this kind of protection,
> you'll need to pay Microsoft $50 a year for Windows Live OneCare which,
> while admittedly an excellent product, should also just come free with
> the OS that caused the problems in the first place. Obviously."

Finally. A Softie says that without being embarrassed!

>  So, basically, Vista won't be any more secure than XP and will be
> dramatically more annoying. Sounds like a winner!

Nothing new to COLA. I am sure that Thurrott's readers and followers will
pass on the message. Good news to GNU/Linux and Apple. They will never
become an obnoxious cage of prompts. Windows is trapped in its own turpid
puddle.

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
  3:05pm  up 48 days  3:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.66, 0.61