Re: Engineering Desktops and Office Desktops

  • Subject: Re: Engineering Desktops and Office Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 02:53:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ 7 ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 21:29 \__

> There is a bit of a fight between light weight and heavy weight
> desktops.
>
> I think I can see a pattern in preferences.
>
> There are engineering desktops like XFCE, Fluxbox, Icewm etc that
> are fast, minimalist and suited for most engineering tasks.
>
> There are heavy weights like KDE that are best suited
> for office applications.
>
> If everyone start calling their desktop either an Engineering
> Desktop or an Office Desktop, and then express their preference
> in Engineering Desktops or Office Desktops, then I think we begin
> to see that there is nothing to fight over.
>
> You would as an admin use Engineering Desktops while developers
> and office workers would stick to Office Desktop environments.
>
> It would also become clear to admins and IT managers that
> Office Desktops are to be installed around the office while
> engineering desktops are to be installed on PCs in the equipment room.
>
> Also it would become clear to developers that if they are
> developing Office Desktops and their applications, then they
> need to put a lot more effort into widgets, user interface and manuals,
> while Engineering Desktop apps can escape those rigours
> with just a simple man file.

Not necessarily true. Engineering desktop benefit from a rich visual
environments that complement raw parts of the work. Have a look at the
following.

64 Bit Psyborg Extreme Graphics Workstation Now with SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop 10

,----[ Quote ]
| Psychsoftpc, the Quincy, MA High End Computer manufacturer, announces
| that the 64 Bit Psyborg Extreme Graphics Workstation with Intel Dual
| Core Processor is now available with the new 64 bit SUSE Linux Enterprise
| Desktop 10 operating system from Novell pre-installed.
`----

                http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/7818/

That company raved about the ability of SLED to make use of a third
dimension, which apparently helps design. We are yet to see programs that
properly take advantage of a rich and potentially complex desktop
environment. Think, for example, about the ability to handle 3-D models
(e.g. in Blender and POV-Ray) in a cubic environment that you can revolve
using knock-based commands and gyroscape-enabled devices. Because Windows is
well behind, not many software vendors augment their interaction paradigms,
_yet_. But it will happen. And Linux will be where first whilst Windows is
binned to see the Singularity closed-source UNIX/Linux clone arrive in 2016.
Microsoft may be the next Silicon Graphics. It's a dinosaur whose lifeline
is dependent on clients (government) with interests and whose technology is
Linux. Why? Because it's just better... and too good to ignore.

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S