Re: Linux - ease of use

  • Subject: Re: Linux - ease of use
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 02:42:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 21:59 \__

> [H]omer :
>> Handover Phist wrote:
>>> My old AGFA 1212u scanner has finally decided to give up the ghost,
>>> right when I have several photos to scan. Just so happens I have another
>>> scanner kicking around, just not the same make/model. I suspected I had
>>> some tweaking to do.
>>>
>>> Nope.
>>>
>>> Just unplugged one, plugged in the other, and hit "Xsane device dialog"
>>> in Gimp.
>>>
>>> It just worked.
>>
>> But ... but .. that *can't* be true.
>>
>> Surely you'd have to go through the following procedure:
>>
>> 1. Uninstall the previous TWAIN driver
>> 2. Remove the scanner from device manager
>> 3. Reboot
>> 4. Manually clean up the ENUM section of the Registry
>> 5. Install the new TWAIN driver and about a gigabyte of other crap
>> 6. Reboot
>> 7. Wait 20 minutes for the system to start up, while it launches about
>> 100 new "start up" programs, installed with the TWAIN driver off the CD
>> 8. "Register" your new product (for a lifetime subscription to *spam*)
>> 9. Run some stupid fucking "first time" Wizard
>> 10. Install some "colour profile" driver
>> 12. Reboot
>> 13. Finally launch the TWAIN interface ... maybe
>>
>> See ... you're obviously wrong - it takes at least 13 lucky steps to
>> install a new scanner.
>>
>> Oh, wait a minute ... you were talking about Windows, weren't you?
>
> Heheheh, I hate TWAIN. On the plus side when I did boot to XP it found
> my scanner without trouble as well. It *did* bring up some stupid
> fucking wizard though.

Same story here. Ubuntu 4.0x: No driver installation. Nothing. Just plug
scanner in, choose scanner program, which is among the menu items after a
default Ubuntu installation (the program is not even labelled xsane, which
makes it easier to locate, as opposed to guessing Start -> Programs -> HP ->
Mumbo Jumbo program). All worked great.

With SUSE 9.3, on the other hand, one has to "Add/remove software", tick the
box "xsane - scanning program etc", then put in the SUSE CD/s on the tray.
That assumes standard (fairly minimal) installation. IIRC, the scanner also
needed to be set up by going to YAST (Control Center 'subset') -> Scanners
-> then select the model from an extensive list. I can't recall if the SUSE
CD's were needed at the stage. Still, easier done in Linux than in Windows.
In old versions of Ubuntu it was almost a passive belt-and-braces exercise.
And Ubuntu makes printer setup easier than it is in Windows, as well. See
screenshots in the following.

        Printing with Ubuntu

        Insights for a quick and easy Ubuntu printer installation

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu makes printing reasonably easy and straightforward. This brief
| article is for those who need a specific and encouraging step-by-step
| guide. I hope that this article will not only ensure that you print
| with ease, but that you have every reason to enjoy a productive
| GNU/Linux desktop.
`----

        http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/printing_ubuntu

Best wishes,