Re: [News] Patents Have Negative Effect on Society

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 17:44 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Patents Become a 'Social' Problem
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Social media -- photos, blogs, networks and tags -- is all about sharing.
>>| But social media startups don't want to share their intellectual
>>| property. Instead, they're heading to the patent office.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| There's no slowdown in sight for social media patents. In August,
>>| Microsoft applied for a patent on a way to allow a community of users to
>>| rate content across a variety of Web sites and display contextual
>>| sensitive reviews.
>>|
>>| In June, it filed for a way to automatically develop profiles of people
>>| who play on game consoles that let them create a social community of
>>| gamers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3629991
>
> This is continued extension of what's always been done by marketing
> people and market research organisations.  Patenting this would be
> absurd, so I guess the yanks will allow it!

Reminded me of Amazon's patent of user's history (puracheses, maybe
pageviews) as a basis for a trainer/engine that makes recommendation. Amazon
patented the librarian. Shock. Horror.

Best wishes,

Tux is sexy <
http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/08/paris_hilton_tux.jpg >
roy      pts/3                         Tue Sep  5 13:22 - 13:39  (00:17)