Re: Swiftfox ... An even better build of Firefox

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 10:54 \__

> Just when you thought Firefox couldn't better ...
>
> .----
> | Swiftfox is an optimized build of Mozilla Firefox. Swiftfox has
> | builds for both AMD and Intel processors. The 1.5.0.6 release is
> | based on Firefox 1.5.0.6.
> |
> | The trunk is the most cutting edge of all the builds and is where
> | Firefox 3 is being developed.

> | There is now an installer available that new users may find helpful.
> | It is just a simple script that downloads and installs Swiftfox in
> | the /opt directory and attempts to use existing Firefox plugins. So
> | if you are unsure how to install Swiftfox you may want to give the
> | installer a try.
> `----
>
>  - http://www.getswiftfox.com
>
> I tried the P4 optimised version just now (had to manually copy over
> some extensions). Works great (and v.fast); and uses your current
> profile too, so you don't have to start from scratch with your
> bookmarks, etc.
>
> Note: the installer is a *very* basic script, that makes assumptions
> about the location of certain files (extensions etc.), so
> modification is recommended (it's a very small script).

Ivan reviewed it 3 days ago (he rarely hangs around COLA).

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=100

It made the front page of Digg, IIRC. He makes some similar points, e.g.:

"One can keep using both Swiftfox and Firefox; the only problem is that every
time one engages either programme after using the other, it acts like it is
a ?first time? launch. In my case, I chose to simply replace any launcher
for Firefox with a launcher for Swiftfox."

For what it's worth, there is also Flock. It seems to have some decent
adoption depsite the fact that key developers left.