Re: [News] [OT] A Capitalist Environment for Linux to Thrive in

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 10:29 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 10:00 \__

>>> I had to do some reading.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly
>>>
>>> Selective snippets:
>>>
>>>         "The word is derived from the Greek for few sellers."
>>>
>>>         "This causes oligopolistic markets and industries to be at the
>>>         highest risk for collusion." (think US government; even Google
>>>         hired Spooks)
>>>
>>> This reminded me of the French and MacDonald's. This also led me to
>>> thinking about Kerala's ban on Pepsico and Coca Cola products. Lastly,
>>> this reminded me of a video I watched earlier today.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-EX9fSIcg
>>>

>> Sorry - just seen this - ignore my other post!
>
> I had to check the timestamp and see if beat you to it (Wikipedia). *smile*
>
> Wikipedia is still my default search bar. And it continues to thrive and
> expand (occupies a 4% chunk of the Web's traffic, IIRC). Some said that
> sites like Digg (even del.icio.os, Reddit) would catch Google unprepared and
> take over. But I think Wikipedia might be the most consice, valuable, and
> least expensive resources (reliability is decent). Children could have it
> loaded onto a CD-ROM/DVD drive and run a compact form (subset) of an
> Internet knowledgebase on their laptop. Offline Wikipedia has existed in
> Germany for a a while. OLPC Project is headed there too.

Wiki is not bad, but it does have one major potential weakness, some
organisations are so powerful that they can afford to have full time
historical revisionists working on their parts, if they choose to.
I would be loath to look up most companies on Wiki...

This is the theory that Jack built.
This is the flaw that lay in the theory that Jack built.
This is the palpable verbal haze that hid the flaw that lay in...