Re: [News] [OT] A Capitalist Environment for Linux to Thrive in

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 10:29 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 10:00 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Read up on how oligopolies form.  Walmart is a key player in an
>>> oligopoly which is extending across the whole planet.  If their goals is
>>> to be an oligopolist, then they're successful, it's true.
>>>
>>> Another question to then consider is whether you want to live somewhere
>>> where you're at the whim of an oligopoly.
>>
>> I had to do some reading.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly
>>
>> Selective snippets:
>>
>>         "The word is derived from the Greek for few sellers."
>>
>>         "This causes oligopolistic markets and industries to be at the
>>         highest risk for collusion." (think US government; even Google
>>         hired Spooks)
>>
>> This reminded me of the French and MacDonald's. This also led me to
>> thinking about Kerala's ban on Pepsico and Coca Cola products. Lastly,
>> this reminded me of a video I watched earlier today.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-EX9fSIcg
>>

> Sorry - just seen this - ignore my other post!

I had to check the timestamp and see if beat you to it (Wikipedia). *smile*

Wikipedia is still my default search bar. And it continues to thrive and
expand (occupies a 4% chunk of the Web's traffic, IIRC). Some said that
sites like Digg (even del.icio.os, Reddit) would catch Google unprepared and
take over. But I think Wikipedia might be the most consice, valuable, and
least expensive resources (reliability is decent). Children could have it
loaded onto a CD-ROM/DVD drive and run a compact form (subset) of an
Internet knowledgebase on their laptop. Offline Wikipedia has existed in
Germany for a a while. OLPC Project is headed there too.

Best wishes,