Re: [News] [OT] A Capitalist Environment for Linux to Thrive in

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 10:17 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 04 September 2006 09:17 \__

>>> This seems to be one of those anti-success things. Walmart is big because
>>> it's successfull. People must like shopping there or they wouldn't have
>>> an income.
>>
>> Ask an American why they like Walmart. There are several factors and among
>> them:
>>
>> * Walmart saves legwork because it has everything (integration).
>>
>> * Walmart is inexpensive (read: cheap, owing to repetition, reuse)
>>
>> Both advantages are obtained through size, which makes a cyclic trap. How,
>> for example, can small rivals gain acceptance? Investments are one
>> options, but it is rarely available to startups in technology, let alone
>> to non-profit-making 'crusades'.
>>

> Economies of scale lead to oligopolies, and ultimately to monopolies.
> Economic theory indicates that when a monoply becomes too inefficient,
> then they'll be replaced by up and coming new businesses which reduce
> costs still further.  Unfortunately, all of these theories are based
> on ideal markets, which do not exist.  Political manipulation is
> unavoidable, the question is more about how it's done, not whether
> it's done.  Monopolies have huge economic power, even when not very
> efficient, and can and do use that power to influence governments to
> help shore-up their monopolies.

A couple of factors to add:

* Principles of economics assume production and distribution costs, which do
not exist in software.

* Microsoft /is part/ of national politics. It no longer needs to subvert it
'behind the scene', by proximity. As proof:

See comment by the author (submitter rather):

"[How is it that Microsoft gets a seat on an education commision? - Scott]"

> OSS is the reaction to the MS monopoly, amongst others (originally a
> reaction to vendor lock-in as an economic tool, but it's broadened
> since then).  Like it or not, if you use a computer, you're in the
> middle of the most significant thing to ever happen to computing since
> Ada Lovelace thought "... wonder what would happen if I did this twice..."

I said it yesterday, but it's worth repeating. Microsoft is one among several
companies which exemplify the fragility of unsupervised capitalism. And the
US government turns a blind eye while making other outrageous decisions that
strengthen monopolies.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

,----[ Quote ]
| Congress is pushing a law that would abandon the Internet's First
| Amendment -- a principle called Network Neutrality that prevents companies
| like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast from deciding which Web sites work best for
| you -- based on what site pays them the most. If the public doesn't speak
| up now, our elected officials will cave to a multi-million dollar lobbying
| campaign.
`----

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 10:20am  up 45 days 22:32,  7 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.60, 0.54