[News] [OT] Advertising Leads to Disinformation, Monopolies

Global Media Democracy (issue #67 Sep-Oct 2006)

,----[ Quote ]
| Newly elected Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi says he wants to shake
| up Italy's strangled media. The idea would have once seemed a fantasy in
| a country ruled for five years by the many-tentacled Silvio Berlusconi,
| who held political control over the public broadcaster and financial sway
| over six of Italy's seven main television channels.
|
| "This is about fair competition," Prodi said in an interview with
| Advertising Age. "I have always said that in order to have a democracy
| you must have competition, and the Italian television sector is for all
| intents and purposes a duopoly ? and it's practically a monopoly in terms
| of advertising."
`----

http://adbusters.org/the_magazine/67/Global_Media_Democracy.html

Contextually related (one recent example among many more):

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]