[News Digest] 01/09/06 24 hrs

  • Subject: [News Digest] 01/09/06 24 hrs
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:41:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Having taken into account the feedback received, I've produced a 1-day
digest (24 hours), which is obviously quite a bit shorter!  I've
followed Roy S's header format somewhat, again as suggested, so that if
people don't want a digest, then they can kill it easily.

For those who don't comprehend what a digest is or does, it can only be
made /after/ the postings have appeared, not before...  anyway, here we
go - again, all feedback welcome.

As per last time, this is from my leafnode spool, which is prefiltered
for some particular posters, so they would never get into this digest.
Otherwise, it picks up anything with the right subject line.

Subject: [News] Linux Gets Board Support Package for Dual-core Processor
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:30:11 +0100

Linux 2.6 BSP supports TI OMAP5912 starter kit

,----[ Quote ]

====

Subject: [News] Cordless Skype/Philips Phone Runs Linux
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:31:46 +0100

Skype debuts Linux-powered cordless phone

,----[ Quote ]

====

Subject: [News] Forbes on Linux and the GPL
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:41:12 +0100

The Problem With St. Ignucius

,----[ Quote ]
| No single product has done more to fuel the Cheap Revolution than Linux.
| This free operating system runs in Wall Street banks and Hollywood special
| effects shops, on supercomputers and smart phones, TiVo boxes and network
| routers. Talk about momentum. Red Hat is on track to do $400 million in
| sales this year. Novell has just produced a Linux desktop so sleek that I
| didn't want to return the demo machine they loaned me, and I just bought a
| copy for my office PC...
|
| [...]
|
| Basically, two camps within the Linux community are facing off: the
| pragmatists, like Torvalds and the corporations, versus the extremists, led
| by Stallman.
|
| [...]
|
| Perens says if Torvalds doesn't adopt GPLv3, extremists will create a new
| operating system using a different kernel.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/31/stallman-linux-opensource_cz_dl_0831stallman.html?boxes=custom

Yesterday I read about DRM in documents. That whole sustitution of
permissions with encryption is distrubing. Data is becoming binary blobs.
And that's /really/ bad.

====

Subject: [News] Forbes Magazine Covers The Linux Revolution
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:48:22 +0100

Dated Sept. 18th, 2006.

The New Barbarians

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2006/0918/102_print.html

====

Subject: [News] Linux Tablet Reaches Its Third Generation
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:51:28 +0100

Smaller, faster, lighter Linux webpad ships shortly

,----[ Quote ]

====