Re: (was news) Innovation and crappy Linux HW integration.

  • Subject: Re: (was news) Innovation and crappy Linux HW integration.
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:07:08 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:FTKv2KJkVChPb5yaNGPrCJfeMvY=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I think that some big revoluion in science and computing will arrive as soon
> as Linux takes over the majority of the user and developer community. All
> forces joined together lead to quicker, more cohesive R&D.

If it had been left to Linux we'd all still be hacking c-shell and being
told here that "its enough for our needs". Any development would have
been split between 4000 distros and noone would have got anywhere.

Now there is real competition : at least MSs complete and utter
dominance give Linux designers and innovators a target to shoot at.

******** BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY ***********

I'm really pissed off : something updated recently and has fucked up my
Linux sound. ATI IXP on board using a CMI9761A chip. Nothing. Nadda. 20
million guess work Howtos out there and not one works. Its been working
for a short while before. Now its dead. I rebooted to windows to check
the HW : it works fine. Gr................. And in case Dick is reading
this : every single howto involves copious amounts of command shell and
editing about 5 different system files directly - hacking things,
rebooting and hoping for the best.