Re: And another happy family, courtesy of Linux ...

  • Subject: Re: And another happy family, courtesy of Linux ...
  • From: Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 13:26:15 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Op Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:36:59 +0200, schreef Hadron Quark:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>> I run KDE (SUSE 9.3) with just 256 MB or RAM. Most of the time, only three
>> quarters of the RAM is being used. No disk space either (I always see the
>> meters at the bottom).
>
> Wow. Linux is using magical pixie dust memory now. Is there nothing it
> cant do? I bet your 20048x1640 desktop only uses 16k in 24 bit depth too.

Even my old Acer Travelmate 515TE laptop (233MHz CPU, 256MB of RAM, and a
*sloowww* 6GB HD) is usable with KDE. Yes, it's quite slow to start both
the OS (2 minutes) and things like OO.o (25 seconds), but once things are
up and running, it's usable. No, not fast, but usable.

Linux appears to have quite efficient memory management, and CPU and I/O
scheduling - no wonder, considering that it runs rings around Windows in
any serious applications such as servers, when it comes to relevant
performance aspects such as speed, security, reliability and scalability.
E.g. a Linux mail, file or print server can typically handle four to five
times the load of a Windows server on the same hardware. Not to mention
the fact that one Linux box can easily accomodate several servers at once,
while with Windows, this appears to be a recipe for disaster. And Windows
*still* requires up to four times the amount of maintenance, whilst
offering less uptime than a typical Linux server. And so on ...

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/