Re: Surprise! EU hates Microsoft

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 20 September 2006 17:27 \__

> [...]
> [...]
>> Motley Fool gives a financial perspective. Don't sweat trying to knock
>> some
>> sense into Suits whose 'knowledge' is speculation over a glass of red
>> wine.
>
>     And yet you seem to have no problem citing Motley Fool when they
>     cricize
> Microsoft or SCOX or support Linux:
>
> Motley Fool on Hated Stocks (Microsoft Included)
> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cb0296416ddd7cfd

^ That's finance

> Motley Fools Calls Microsoft "Dead Money"
> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/f6de113d8f419494

^ That's finance

> Motley Fool Not Impressed by Microsoft
> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/5770310d395a4dcb

^ That's finance

> On the Linux-IBM Friendship
> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/ea423532d05bb7e9

^ That's finance

> Motley Fool Confirms that SCOX is Doomed
> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/360914552ba3d1b6

^ That's finance

>     I don't particularly care much for the "financial perspective". The
>     fact
> that Microsoft's stock went down is not particularly interesting to me. And
> this disinterest has nothing to do with Microsoft: If you told me Redhat's
> stock went down, I'd be equally uninterested (does Redhat even trade stocks
> on the public market? I have no idea. That's how little I care about the
> financial perspective).
>
>     However, this article Larry brought up IS interesting to me. It doesn't
> mention anything about stocks. Instead, it's about how Microsoft is being
> put into a very unfair position. It's being forbidden by law to bundle
> applications with their OS, and then being criticized for not bundling
> applications with their OS. While Microsoft-sympathizing may be off topic
> in a Linux advocacy group, it's certainly more on topic than reports on how
> MSFT is doing on the stock market this evening.

If you check that critique of a writer who said Microsoft has "virtues", you
will realise that Microsoft was assessed in a supposedly technical way that
analyses its behaviour and ethics. But the author hasn't a clue. He sees
Microsoft as MSFT -- a stock. And /that's/ why I don't accept Motley Fool's
take on Microsoft's history of stifling competition, among other wrongdoing.
I see the same miscomprehension among family that is merely a user of
Microsoft Windows. Just because it's there before you doesn't mean it got
there owing to so-called "virtues".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | http://en.opensuse.org
roy      pts/7                         Wed Sep 20 13:55 - 13:55  (00:00)