Re: (Article) Do Know Evil? Google is Said to be Astroturfing

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Friday 15 September 2006 05:34 \__

> Don't Be Evil -- Hire It Done
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "The NY Times among others is reporting that Google is ramping up its
> | lobbying clout (registration or bugmenot required). The 'Don't be evil'
> | search engine company has hired the infamous astroturfing and dirty
> | tricks firm Direct Connect, Inc. You may remember DCI from their recent
> | attempts to pass off their 'Penguin Army' video as a product of some
> | lone wit, unconnected with their client, Exxon. Or their involvement in
> | Microsoft's 'even dead voters love Microsoft' campaign. With a staff of
> | veterans in the biz (such as Chris 'Swiftboat' LaCivita and Jim
> | 'Electioneering' Tobin), led by Tom 'Big Tobacco on the Dole' Synhorst,
> | I'm sure DCI will be able to give Google whatever they're paying them
> | for. The question is, what are they paying them for? And does 'Don't be
> | evil' imply 'Don't pay professionals to be evil for you?' Or could
> | there possibly be a non-evil reason to hire these clowns?"
> `----
>
> http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/14/1534224&from=rss

Yikes.

        Google forms political pressure group

        http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1355970172&rid=-50

One more company that wants to (re)write the laws. Some say that bribery in
politics is what tweaks the rules to suit the wealthy corporations. I hope
that Google will rethink this. As well as the censorship, the 'extensions'
of standards, and snobbery over validation. Where is that Google which was
so much liked...?