Re: [News] Snobbery? Get Opera, Then Forget About Downloading Vista

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:03:22 +0100
<3715445.mNK3V19ebM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Vista site will not let you download using Opera
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ... testers for Microsoft's Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) programme
> | cannot use Opera 8.5 to download the software.
> |
> | Apparently, the link will not let them download the necessary ISO image
> | if they try to register using that particular flavour of browser.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34492

Several problems here.

[1] Opera 9.0 is out.

[2] I would hope Opera has the ability to masquerade as IE; in fact,
AIUI it invented the concept.

[3] Do Mozzie, Konq, and Dillo have this problem as well?

[4] Is this a deliberate act or just a stupid implementation of cookies?
I *know* one can stupidly implement cookies -- I have a bug tracking
system here that refuses to communicate with Firefox  because of it.

     ProblemTracker - Unable to Login

     Cookies are not enabled in your browser.

     ProblemTracker cannot function properly without cookies.
     Please contact your Administrator for information on how
     to enable cookies.

Oh, and just for completeness:

Firefox Preferences:
Cookies:

[*] Allow sites to set Cookies (no exceptions)
    [ ] for the originating site only
    [ ] unless I have removed cookies set by the site

Maybe ProblemTracker has fixed this in a later version; I for one don't
know.  But it's why IE is sitting on my Linux box.  :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.