Re: [News] Snobbery? Get Opera, Then Forget About Downloading Vista

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:03:22 +0100
> <3715445.mNK3V19ebM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Vista site will not let you download using Opera
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ... testers for Microsoft's Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) programme
>> | cannot use Opera 8.5 to download the software.
>> |
>> | Apparently, the link will not let them download the necessary ISO image
>> | if they try to register using that particular flavour of browser.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34492
>
> Several problems here.
>
> [1] Opera 9.0 is out.
>
> [2] I would hope Opera has the ability to masquerade as IE; in fact,
> AIUI it invented the concept.
>
> [3] Do Mozzie, Konq, and Dillo have this problem as well?

No. I downloaded the Vista DVD from that page using Firefox under Linux,
and without masquerade the browser either.

> [4] Is this a deliberate act or just a stupid implementation of cookies?

The page does use a cookie, optionally for "remembering your login", but
AFAICT the primary reason is that the page is a typical ASP mess with no
doctype declaration.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 08:05:59 up 94 days,  8:22,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.07