Re: (OS) The thing I *hate* most about Microsoft Windows.

  • Subject: Re: (OS) The thing I *hate* most about Microsoft Windows.
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:46:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Heidi van Wong ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 18:46 \__

>> try copying files from a CD-ROM or via USB cable and the system
>> will become unusable.
>>
>> Will Vista change this?

No. In fact, if anything, things are about to get a whole lot slower.

>> I want to boot up a Windows OS where I can copy from a CD, put
>> songs on my MP3 player, manage my digital camera and burn a DVD
>> while I play a graphics-intensive 3D game in a small window with
>> _NO_ slowdown.
>>
>> Will Vista deliver this?

> You must be thinking about an augmented environment that exploits,
> e.g. the notion of virtual desktops.

MS could start by fixing their b0rken HAL and driver framework first.

However, the hardware also has a lot to answer for. The legacy of
prehistoric BIOS design and resource arbitration needs to be culled.

In particular, USB, much like packet writing, is a standard that is
rarely implemented correctly (on any platform), for reasons that have
never been made clear. Maybe the specs are too difficult for
manufacturers to follow; maybe the specs themselves are flawed; who
knows? Personally I'd rather the industry stuck to IEEE1394b, which is
a superior interface in terms of both speed and integrity.

> Enter Linux.

Linux will definitely solve a lot of issues WRT speed and
responsiveness (e.g. latency issues), esp. since the exact I/O
scheduler can be chosen from (currently) one of four. However, no
software can solve hardware issues; work around perhaps, but not
solve.

> http://slated.org/xgl_on_fc5

It is a good (albeit high speed) example of how an OS *should* be able
to handle a hell of a lot going on, *and* still produce the eye-candy,
if that's what you want. What's *not* obvious from that video, is that
there are also a are large number of services going on in the
background too. Try turning on e.g. indexing service in Windows, and
watch the system come to dead halt.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 19:27:28 up 93 days, 19:44,  3 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.38, 0.16