Re: [News] Unisys Offer to Integrate MySQL

__/ [ yttrx ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 12:36 \__

>> Open-source integration
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Unisys Corp. of Blue Bell, Pa., has signed a partnership with MySQL AB
>> | of Sweden  to incorporate the open-source MySQL database into the
>> | integrator's own offerings and to offer MySQL support and consulting
>> | services.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.gcn.com/print/25_28/41991-1.html
>
> Two points.
>
> 1. MySQL is a steaming pile of utterly useless shit.

Ever considered manageing a 100KB database? The issue of growth and scale set
aside? Affordability is what enables the Web to grow so quickly and pose
such a low entry barrier (whether that's a good or a bad thing). *smile*

> 2. Unisys is still around?

Yes and Unisys also says that Open Source will have the same impact that the
Internet has had on technology. Unisys is embracing Open Source. And it's
not always an indication of demise or an early death knell. Sun's server
sales surges in the last quarter. And a lost of products are being
open-sourced, including hardware designs. Lastly, Ubuntu has formed a
special relationship with Sun and I suspect it now runs on some of their
servers. OpenSalaris aside... IBM claimed it is a fake gesture.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
  1:05pm  up 61 days  1:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.53, 0.52