Re: Copyright Infringement vs. Fair Use vs. Piracy

  • Subject: Re: Copyright Infringement vs. Fair Use vs. Piracy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:06:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 11:47 \__

> There is nothing wrong with your PC... do not attempt
> to adjust the picture... we will control the horizontal, and the vertical.
> For the next minute, sit quietly,
> and we will control all that you see and hear. Jamie Hart wrote:

???

>> Jim wrote:
>>>>
>>> OK, here's the thread. Let's keep it to software, we don't want to dilute
>>> this with discussions about Nike boots (tho analogies where appropriate
>>> are
>>> acceptable).
>>> Start with technicalities:
>>> Copyright Infringement: the creation of unauthorised duplicates
>>> Fair Use: the creation of authorised duplicates for the purposes of
>>> backup
>>> Piracy: the act of hijacking a civilian boat on the open sea for
>>> nefarious
>>> purposes including but not limited to rape, pillage and murder.
>>>
>>> Over to you. :)
>>
>> Somewhat off topic, but did you know today is International talk like a
>> pirate day?
>
> Arrr!

I remember that, at the time, I was accused of sealing a picture which a
couple of years beforehand did not have a copyright notice and even had a
hyperlink attribution (accompaied in over 15 places). The word "pirate" was
used in the accusation.

Ahhhh.... not. Rah! Rah! Rah!

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie