Re: [News] Linux Gaming on a $250 Box

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8549378.lrqgV4ARWy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That's $250, not $2500.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-2hgxt2lH14

The way the arm in the screen moves around makes me suspect that the player is actually holding the Wiimote like a rifle, and that the movement onscreen follows the movement of your Wiimote. Makes me wonder if reloading is done by pointing the rifle upwards, meelee done by swinging the butt-end of the Wiimote towards the screen, and zoom by holding the Wiimote up to your face (not sure if the player could be depended upon to sit still enough so that an accurate heuristic could be made of when the Wiimote was up to the face).

It also makes me wonder whether this will "feel right". It might work better if a custom controller were provided with the game: Something long enough that you could weird it with both arms -- if you're right handed, your right index would be on the trigger, and your right thumb would be on a directional pad for movement. Tilting the rifle would let you look around, and your left fingers would have access along the muzzle for various actions (like opening a door, or switching weapons). They could add a button on the butt of the rifle so that you'd press the rifle against your shoulder to get a zoom. Maybe throw in an infrared sensor to detect your cheek/side of the head over the rifle too, to enable looking down the barrel.

Maybe you could have 3 seperate controllers (the custom rifle rifle described above, a handgun which would look like a typical console handgun, and the wiimote to act as a knife or grenade), and you'd actually physically have to switch between them to switch in-game. =P

- Oliver