Re: [NEWS] Windows Vista: What Is the Right Price?

  • Subject: Re: [NEWS] Windows Vista: What Is the Right Price?
  • From: Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:43:58 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Op Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:57:42 +0900, schreef High Plains Thumper:

> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vista-What-Is-the-Right-Price-7689.
> shtml
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/qcah6
>
>> Windows Vista: What Is the Right Price?
>> Category: SOFTPEDIA NEWS :: Microsoft :: Windows
>>
>> Perhaps $99?
>> By: Alina Plesu, Technology and Science Editor
>>
>> Microsoft is facing a difficult dilemma: What price tag should the
>> company attach to its Windows Vista OS?

[snip]

Hmm ... "price"? Who in their right mind would voluntarily pay for what's
essentially XP SP3 (older hardware) or a hog-with-lipstick (on newer
hardware)? Oh, I forgot ... for those who want to buy a preinstalled pc in
six month's time, the word "voluntarily" will be meaningless. It's Vista
or nothing.

I think Microsoft shouldn't be talking about "price", but about
"remuneration". Let's say that they should pay users of the basic version
with old hardware some $100, and up to $1,000 for those who want the new
feature (yup, singular), and need to spend at least double that amount to
be able to use the eye-candy Redmond presents as the great improvement.

They extracted billions from the world by selling it unfinished, quickly
slapped together sugar-coated crapware, yet promising all the time that
the Great Stuff would be forthcoming Real Soon. It's time they paid back
the victims of what closely resembles a Nigerian advance fee scam.

> The right price is Open Source.  Less filling (less hardware overhead),
> greater taste.

Nah... Open Source isn't the price. It's the reward. Freedom, security,
reliability, immediate savings, and full control again over what's yours.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/