Re: Treasure hunting...

__/ [ Jim ] on Friday 15 September 2006 03:02 \__

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the 497-rollover quirk, it is difficult to compare Linux uptimes
| vs. Windows uptimes from publicly available Netcraft data. Two data
| points are statistically insignificant, but they are somewhat telling,
| given that one of them concerns the Microsoft website. As of September
| 2004, the average uptime of the Windows web servers that run Microsoft's
| own web site (microsoft.com) is roughly 59 days. The maximum uptime for
| Windows Server 2003 at the same site is 111 days, and the minimum is
| 5 days. Compare this to www.linux.com (a sample site that runs on
| Linux), which has had both an average and maximum uptime of 348 days.
| Since the average uptime is exactly equal to the maximum uptime, either
| these servers reached 497 days of uptime and reset to zero 348 days ago,
| or these servers were first put on-line or rebooted 348 days ago.
`----

I can vaguely recall a famous story about the UNIX server that was 'lost' in
the datacentre. Once found, it was shown to have retained an uptime of...
was it well over 5 years? Desktop machines are a different scenario and, in
my case, since I run a lot of experimental code on it, more issues are bound
to occur. Still, I never reboot. Been up since the outage in July...
downtime is never even seen as a possibility. It has no purpose other than
to save electricity, but then again, every Linux machine, including this
one, is a Web server and remote access server 'out of the box'. The
gain/necessity of this surpasses the minor use of electricity when a machine
stands by, is on Wake-on-LAN mode, or hibernates.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  1:05pm  up 59 days  1:17,  8 users,  load average: 1.22, 0.76, 0.68